Sunday, June 01, 2008

Missy's "This I Believe" Essay

Missy was tasked with writing an essay called "This I Believe" and she asked me if I would want to put it here on the blog so that others may know how she feels and what she believes.
It left me speechless and humbled and blessed, to say the least.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dad is a super hero

“Batman! Look Mama, it’s Batman!” a little girl screams. Ha. That little girl is me, in my mind. I love to watch cartoons of Super Friends, Superman and Batman. “Batman!” he was always my favorite out of every hero. I always thought that super heroes were the special ones. People who had super cool powers and amazing costumes. Then I thought of my dad, and how he could pass as a super hero for Halloween. He is a man, strong, brave, a good actor, and a perfectly awesome father.

Then it occurred to me. When my dad has bad days when he is sick and having attacks, he is brave, strong, and a fighter. Maybe he is a super hero, I keep thinking. He’s strong, like Superman, and protective like Hawk Woman. He helps me when I cry. He’s always what I need to make a day seem like a day that is the best ever. My dad is like an angel, always watching over me. “My dads a super hero!” it made sense that he could be one of them. He’s strong like Superman, caring like Wonder Woman, always thinking like Green Lantern, and never gives up just like Batman. How cool it is to have a super hero dad. And to me, he is the best hero that has ever lived.

He fights for freedom from the sickness that he has. He also fights to protect his family and friends. Isn’t that what super heroes do? Fight for the freedom of who they’re saving. And don’t they have people that they care for? Mothers, girlfriends, boyfriends, or fathers? My father also trusts the people around him. He trusts my mom and me to help him when he is going down. He calls on friends to help pray for him. Hopes from others can help almost as if they were there with him. Heroes need help to. Batman has a butler that helps him with information that he needs to find. On the show Super Friends, the heroes also need help, help from each other. Not one of them is ever alone. They always stay together, to help and support. They depend on each other.

Even though he’s physically ill, he is still as much a hero as I believe that he is. And even if he has to stay in bed for the day, I can still see him thinking of when he was playing tag with me and my brother, or practicing volleyball with me. And having that feeling of being able to be in the outside world. Not just being inside, but feeling the freedom in the world is an amazing thing to feel. And super heroes feel that almost every day. In the movies and TV shows, they fly around or are always on the move to help someone or go and meet or plan with someone.

And one of the most important things a super hero has is a heroic name. For example, Flash has that name because he is able to run at the speed of sound. Hawk Woman has that name because she has wings like a hawk and she has the attitude of one. And my dad has a heroic name just like them too. Dad and Father. They may be names that most kids call their fathers, but mine I say with pride. For my father is the one and only perfect father that I could ever ask for. And that makes him look like Superman to me. This I believe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...