Sunday, April 29, 2018

April Was Music Month

04/29/2018

Throughout the day (most any day), I like to listen back to stuff I've recorded to keep the ideas familiar and to evaluate them.  Most of the ideas I listen to are after 2007, but I also enjoy listening to the Forthright tunes we recorded (both Kevin's Garage  Rehearsal Tapes & The Crystal Cathedral Sessions we recorded in their 24 track studio) as well as any/all of the stuff Scott Rose and I worked on starting in 1991(Jetty Rd, SBG, etc.).  

This month has been a musical blast thanks in particular to 2 folks; Brian Kunz & Kevin SchollBrian has come down from the Bay Area several times to visit, chill, have some dog-time, and to jam/write some music and I credit him with helping me keep sight of my sanity, though from time to time, that has been from a distance, but, I digress...He is a phenomenal drummer and percussionist as well as guitar, bass, and keyboard player and in the top of my list of folks I am musically inspired by.  Also in the top of that list is another brother of mine, Kevin Scholl, who was the bassist/vocalist in Forthright during our 3-Piece formation.  Kevin is a walking inspiration...all he has to do is pick up a bass or guitar (or sit down at a keyboard) and music flows instantaneously and if I'm within earshot, I'm inspired.  Kevin drove up from Riverside, CA and stayed 4 days and 4 nights and music flowed every day he was here.  It was so good to have his company and to have his input and council.  We wrote several ideas and I made sure the computer was recording from start to finish whenever we sat down.  

Kev left on Wednesday morning and the following Tuesday, Brian came down for a musical visit and hang time and we wrote some more music as well as listened back to some ideas I'd written in the previous weeks and he laid some drum tracks down for some select ideas.

Bri always breathes new life into my older ideas and, by doing so, inspires me to write more and re-evaluate some older ideas that had just a drum loop for my "drum track".  He sits at the kit and ideas go from "black & white" to "color" if you follow my thought process.  

My next musical goal is to get Snowman up here (from San Bernadino County) and see if I can also get Kev and Bri to visit at the same time...



...and to take that one musical step further would be to have my brother Sam Harman come down from the South Bay with his keyboard and some guitars.  This is a version of my musical "dream team".  Other versions of the same dream team include Scott Rose with his Bass and Uke, Dan Cooperider with his guitar(s), my nephew Erik Halden on guitar/bass/vocals, and Ed Baumann with his Keys and Reason software.
  I'd love to have Wallace Helms from North Carolina come out so we could create some more music like we did in the late 80's and early 90's in Forthright.  

I wish I had photos of each person I'm thinking of...*sigh*  For now, these are who I have pics of (and each of them makes me smile).


You know, stepping back and looking at this brief list of musicians illuminates for me the realization that God has allowed me some incredible moments in time with some excellent musicians.  Some folks can go through their lives looking for someone to write and play music with, and I've been given several brothers (and a few sisters) who I've written with, played/performed with, and have been inspired by.


When you read this, I hope you can reflect on the people in your life that were not there by accident, and, maybe, reach out to them, sharing your thoughts and recollections of good times and times that you were grateful that they were there with you (in person, in spirit, or in memory).
My list of folks (above) is most certainly incomplete and I don't want that anyone would read this and think that I haven't or don't value their musical input into my life.  The biggest risk when it comes to naming musical inspirations and influences is that some names may be accidentally/inadvertently omitted.  If I have omitted your name from the list above, I truly hope that you'll forgive me.

Well, that's it for now.  I hope to eventually post some of the songs/ideas Kev, Bri, and I have worked on; it will be cool to share them.   =)


Peace, Music & Blessings~



No comments:

Post a Comment

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...