Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday: Symptoms Shared

I've been thinking of what my symptoms look like to the person with me as well as what they are in terms of how I feel when it is happening, so here are some of my conclusions; it is a work in progress, you understand...:

  • Feeling light-headed or confused
  • Numbness or tingling in my hands, lips , fingers or hands
  • Sharp shoulder pain, above the joint, in the heart of the shoulder muscle
  • Heavy fatigue
  • Chest pressure (not pain, necessarily, but chest wall pressure from the muscles around the ribs and upper body constricting
  • Sweating all over; from top of the head to the feet
  • Lack of physical independent stability
  • Locking jaw
  • Closed eyes
  • Unable to move parts of the body or even the whole body
  • Being rigid and locked up, muscles tight
  • Being completely limp, like a rag doll
  • Localized spasms to seizure-like spasms
  • Unable to get up from a sitting or lying down position
  • Unable to answer if spoken to
  • Neck drops (where, all of a sudden, your head drops down, chin to chest, without your control in the moment)

Well, that’s all I can think of at the moment, but I’ve dealt with each of these and do deal with these at different points each week. We’ve minimized the number of attacks to some degree by changing my diet and always having liquid potassium with me wherever I am at any point in time. I also take an Ativan at the onset of spasm symptoms with chest pressure or pain, as well as some Percocet to get a jump-start on the soon following muscle pain.

I added this into a discussion board on Facebook and thought that it might be enlightening to some who read this blog from time to time.

btw: today's PT appt came and went without incident but I'm still definitely recovering from the previous hits; feeling physically beaten up and sore, along with tired and weak. Profuse sweating still occurs to me on a daily basis but after each episode of the sweats, I just have to wait and see if it's the "prelude" or just a small "anthem" in itself (like now...).

Keep on, keepin' on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...