Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Nana, CC’s mom, is being discharged tonight and will be coming back to our house at this point in time. She has obviously progressed back into a better state of health than where she was a week ago, but we are far from well at this point. There’s much to be discussed and decided now.

I went to the dentist this morning and had 6 original fillings replaced due to them fracturing with age and the subsequent damage they caused the filled tooth. After a fair amount discussion regarding HKPP and my history with dentistry, the dentist shared that he would use a new numbing agent rather than the standard Lignocaine, which has been proven to cause cancer in lab rats. Apparently, many practices are changing over from lignocaine to another agent because of the lab studies. Lignocaine is a trigger for HKPP in many cases and my history shows that true. While speaking to my mom tonight on the phone, she asked me if I recalled one of the dentist appointments I had in high school where my face began to go into paralysis, spreading from the injection site and progressively numbing my head, neck, shoulders and she was remembering my torso possibly as well. Until she had reminded me of it, I had no recollection of it. Once she brought it up, I could remember the actual appointment, being scared on the way home and being scared at home as the paralysis progressed. As I recall, it was right around then that everyone realized that the lignocaine and Novocain brought about no pain relief during the drilling and mouth-work and that I wasn’t just an over-sensitive patient. For most of my youth, the drilling was done without the areas being numbed. I’ve blocked a lot of memories.

I’m still dealing with the effects of the work from this morning; kind slow, brain fog, still some mouth numbness from the shots, but no pain from the work, which is great. I’m really hoping that the next 72 hours will pass without anything coming from the appointment. Prayers there would be more than appreciated. Prayers for our household tonight and for the next number of weeks will also be appreciated as we determine care for CC’s mom, our home and family and continued healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...