Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday, March 11, 2007

We forgot, correction, I forgot to set the clocks ahead last night so we missed the 10:30 service we were planning on hitting, and instead went to Capital Christian’s 11:15 AM service again. I took my SPL meter this time:
Worship portion averaged about 107 dB with peaks at 110
Spoken word was an even 80 dB or so.
Guest musician was a lead guitarist and his band that played one tune “Our God is an Awesome God” and averaged about 98 dB to 100 dB.
I spoke to a pastor after service, trying NOT to sound like a complainer or “know it all”, but wanted to bring it to his attention intelligently. He explained first off that he knows nothing of the sound or its parameters and that the person in charge of it is the Worship/band leader. He also shared that the volume is intentional for a particular target audience; something that I had anticipated was the case.
Sermon was dead on for me, taken from Psalms 51 and King David’s cries for reconciliation and perspective. I wouldn’t buy the tape because I feel like I drew from it what was there to be taken, but it was also very good “food” for conversation while at lunch with all of us at Applebee’s, while Missy and I conversed about what she retrieved from his sermon. As usual, she and I tracked point for point, only hers were far simpler and mine more convoluted, but in a good way, I think.
After lunch was a quick trip home to drop off her mom (who went with us this time), and then back out to Wal-Mart for some much needed groceries and some clothing for the kids field trips coming up that we have had not bought clothing for them or us in quite some time, go figure.
I scored on getting one of the store’s few electric carts and then we were good to go for the next 90 or so minutes.
After finding more than we needed and putting much of it back, we exited and headed home to begin making dinner and getting the kids going on their respective homework. I grilled 2 salmon fillets, for the first time ever, and they came out quite good. I was very pleased with my freshman effort. Here’s hoping for my next effort…
TK and Lindy and the kids stopped by just a few minutes ago and stayed for a few and we got to chat for a little while, which was nice. We don’t see them often so the visit was fun to catch up and let the kids all platy for a few while the adults gabbed a little. TK is planning on repairing the transmission in the Ramcharger next weekend, and then after that, hopefully we’ll go after the gaskets which need replacing, no small task, so I’m told.

Everybody is getting ready for bed now so I’ll not go on too much longer…
My K+ has been holding at 4.0 to 4.2 all week long and I’ve been feeling it, for sure.
Yesterday was particularly frustrating in that my K+ was lower than I’d like and my neighbor suggested that, instead of me paying an arborist some $400 to remove a 3 trunk tree in our front driveway, his grandson could come over and do it for $25 or so.
Long, painful story short, the grandson cut down ¾’s of one of the trunks, I’m out $100 that I suggested paying him for removing ALL THREE trees (misunderstanding or miscommunication, whatever) and to top it off, I arrogantly refused to heed CC’s requests that I not help with the tree removal, and I hurt very badly because of and am still walking very slowly today because of my stupidity yesterday. A brief, familiar pity party of one over fairness and the lack of it and all and I was off to the bed, hot pad and isolation for while since I couldn’t walk, stand or move much at all. Stupid AND defiant. The price wasn’t just mine, I mess everyone else up when I end up in pain, and I know it. This morning I had a dream that I woke myself from, which was of me falling down while trying to place reflectors or cones on a traveled road and realizing folks were wanting me to go to the ER ad I did not want to go, so I woke myself up to keep from going (around 5:00 AM) and realized I could barely move in bed because my lower back, right hip and right side hurt so much and had no strength. I thought for sure I would wake CC up trying to roll onto my back with the sounds I was making in my efforts to move positions. My hands were painfully stiff, as if swollen (but they aren’t and weren’t). Long, painful day that methadone, Percocet and Darvocet DON’T touch at all. Any ideas? No Oxy-anythings; they’re too addicting.
Does anyone know where I can buy a decent cane anywhere? I hate the one I got from the hospital; it LOOKS like I got it at a hospital.

I hooked my Talk Box up to my guitar rig and it works! So cool. The kids dig it too. Talkbox is a one-of-a-kind tool that is great for a “wah”-effect gone wild. Think of some of the following songs which have the signature sound in them:
“Sweet Emotion” by Aerosmith
“Rocky Mountain Way” by Joe Walsh
“Those Shoes” by The Eagles (off of Long Run) This tune uses the Talk Box as the main melodic instrument behind Don Henley’s vocals. Joe Walsh at his best writing, in my opinion. Tastefully done. Saweet.
“Do You Feel Like We Do” by Peter Frampton (Live)
“Livin’ On A Prayer” by Bon Jovi
“Kick Start My Heart” by Crűe, as in Mőtley Crűe…is there any other? I think not.

I fell in love with the sound the very first time I heard it and I wanted to know how it was done and if I could learn it and, low and behold, I have a box and know how to use it. Lots of creative fun.
Speaking of the Eagles, another SERIOUS tune is “Too Many Hands” off the album “One of These Nights”. Check out the vocals, harmonies and guitar work, let alone the slicing message. I absolutely LOVE their stuff, especially their early work. *sigh*

Tomorrow brings my first visit to some Physical Therapists in Rancho Cordova and I’m looking forward to it , though I know more pain awaits, regardless.

Time to call it.
peace

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:52 AM

    Dear Chuckles

    Leave the **** trees alone!!!!!!!
    I have a cane I could give you...........give you a whack with if you pull that "tree thing again"!
    Now remember--I have my spies....so behave yourself,young man.

    "The Old Man Down the Road"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Yo Wade.
    Just wanted to let you know that I continue to read your thoughts on an almost daily basis. It reminds me to pray for you and your family, which I am happy to do.

    Prepare to have your mind blown:
    Stevie Wonder on a talk box...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-cF0W2JLw

    ~Jared

    ReplyDelete

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...