Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday Cometh

Sunday, November 19, 2006

It’s Sunday evening and B52’s “Love Shack” is the tune of choice at the moment. Just before it was “The Sign” by Ace of Bass, a pretty vicious write about dumping someone, and not just leaving them but questioning how they could have been foolish enough to have been with them in the first place. That was a nasty inspiration, I’m certain. Anyway, it a tune and band I haven’t heard in quite some time. I liked their debut release but not much after that. Wow, digression so early in the write…

Slept in (again) this morning and have slowly been gaining on my lost sleep. I’m not feeling rested yet, but I’m hopeful I will soon. Angel went home this afternoon after staying with us since Friday. It’s been wonderful having her here and she’s such a help to CC. That was the biggest impact besides the kid’s joy of having her here.

CC wanted to take the family to the Sacramento Library in downtown, so we piled into the van and went down there this afternoon. The library is featuring special events each Sunday afternoon and this afternoon was an A Capella trio representing a 5 person ensemble called “Sovosos” I think…uh oh…memory is fading….oh well. They’re from Oakland and the trio did a great job. Very creative and very fresh. The gent covering the beat-box was exceptional, in my opinion. I really enjoyed their product. Afterwards was a treat for Angel; TCBY yogurt in Arden. I found out that the average smoothie there has from 86 to 116 Grams of Carbs. SERIOUS Carbs. I did not partake. Ya think?
(It’s Prince “When Doves Cry” currently) After yogurt was the trip back home and Missy’s preparation to go to the church tonight for the Agape Feast, which is a church-wide potluck. To my knowledge, there hasn’t been an all-church potluck and this was themed in the “original church”, in the time of the apostles. Sara asked certain folks to dress in old Israel garb and had one person per 3 tables act as host for those tables. She, Don Bowes and a few others played parts and had some lines, but overall, it was just an informal potluck with a theme. At the end of the night Chris directed everyone in communion, which was done separately at each table, and Pastor Henry prayed. 200+ came tonight which is cool on the one and, the hand that looks at the night itself and having a turnout, but it was frustrating on the other hand that the church, FOPC, has over 2000+ members on the roles and a turnout of 200 seems pretty low to me. As the dinner progressed, I began to feel light and started sweating like crazy again, but it mellowed out a little wile later. CC’s amazing; she noticed the sweating and cold hands and asked if I was alright, just after it started. I was pleased to not have to leave the dinner prematurely and by not leaving early I was able to say good evening to my crew who was working the event.
The high point of the night was to see my tech family who I haven’t been able to see since I was hospitalized. These are the folks I miss and love on a weekly-basis. It was so heartwarming to see them and get hugs and handshakes. I try to tell them week in and week out how much I appreciate them and tonight made it very tangible for me, in that I have missed them and not just as colleagues but really as my friends and extended family. Rob, Chris P, Robert P, Scott and Leslie, Madoli and Carl…Blessings to me, each of them. I can write it because I know I’ve said it to them over and over, otherwise I feel writing something like that knowing some of them may or might see it is akin to thanking someone while in prayer to avoid saying in person, on to one, if you understand what I mean. I received a call from Erin Creasey, another of my regular, long suffering tech team, and he said he was calling to see how I am doing. Without a doubt, consider him in the list above as well.
I miss them.


I used the cane most of the day today; I was tired and my right leg still feels weaker and occasionally obnoxious. I don’t like it much but it does make the walking a bit easier and for that, if nothing else, I should shut up. At least I can walk.

(Young MC’s “Bust a Move”) I’ve had my meds now and am typing from the bed. The body is mellowing out as the minutes pass. Last night, this was not the case; I got ready to get into bed and as I was climbing in, I could just feel the vibrations begin within my chest and instantly I was hit with the chills which cause me to become either ridged like a board while I shake almost uncontrollably or I curl into a fetal position to try to maintain some warmth. Last night was ridged and CC was quickly beside me calming me back down and helping me to get warmer. My shirt and sweat pants were soaked through before I knew it and after the chills receded it was very difficult to fall asleep, even though I the chills generally leave me exhausted. I’m pretty sure that those episodes are somehow related to HKPP but I don’t know exactly how. They just destroy me physically when they hit and when they stop, I’m left completely wiped and weak with everything hurting. No fun happening here…

(Paul Revere and the Raiders “Cherokee Nation”…remember that one?) Tomorrow or Tuesday should bring the Cardy! I’m excited to get it and get it into use. It would be great to have in cases like last night, to see if it is potassium related or not.
Also tomorrow, my bud Brian Kunz from Portola Valley is coming for a day to hang, chill at my casa and play with the kids, who are VERY excited to see him, so CC and I can complete some paperwork and get some errands done that would be tough to do with them in tow. Bri was my right hand man when I was at MPPC and is a good and faithful friend of ‘round 8 years now. A very, very good drummer and percussionist with a serious imagination, he is also an exceptional mixing engineer with some skilled live chops. I think he’d refer to himself as “Wacky” on a good day. Bri brings cool, good stuff to the mixing table.

(David Bowie’s “Fame”) Thanksgiving is this week, no it’s no shock, I know, but sometimes I have to be reminded of some of the basic OBVIOUS things, all right? Sheesh. So anyway, before I so rudely interrupted my self, Thanksgiving means my birthday is somewhere nearby. That of course means that, the reason I feel so damn old is, that I am...I ‘spose. Sorry for the brief profane expression…kinda. It was the right word…
I was hoping that 42 was going to be a better year than 41 was, being that 41 began with some major back/muscle/spiritual issues and was tough to get through. 42 looked decent until March when the first of these attacks began. Over half a dozen trips to the ER and 3 hospital admissions since then have rendered this year “unfavorable” at best and my hope is now for 43. Family will be coming next weekend and I’m really looking forward to that, though my niece, Kirsten, is in Hungary and thus the weekend won’t be all it could be, but will be as good as it can without her here. I miss you, hun.

So, on to Monday to see what it holds.
-w

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:11 AM

    I miss you too and happy (almost) birthday! 42 aint SOOO old...just...almost 3 times older than me. thats all : -P. haha, you know i love you, no matter how old ya get : -P. hope you have a great week and an even better weekend, tell the kids and CC i love um *sends a bagillion hugs!!!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:41 PM

    "Serious imagination" is an understatement for Mister Kunz.
    ~Jared

    ReplyDelete

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...