Sunday, November 26, 2006

Addendum to Sunday the 26th

I forgot to add in to my last entry that my nephew, Sterling, had shared a music video with me yesterday of a band called DragonForce which is a band bringing back speed metal with a fine, articulate dual guitar approach and clean, solid melodic vocals. I had shared G3 with him and he wanted to show me a clip from DragonForce. These guys from DragonForce, Herman Li & Sam Totman, are well within the league of the forerunners; Via, Satriani & Petrucci, though it is worthy of noting that the three aforementioned axemen were creating and refining the speed technique and possibly creating it while players like the guys from DragonForce are likely skilled learners with excellent skill and ability. Worthy of note, without a doubt, is the drummer David Mackintosh who is, more often than not, showing off a ferocious ability to double kick with the best of any band.
I'm not dogging the guys from DragonForce at all; I believe that they are just too young to be carrying the original speed metal mantle, if that makes sense, being that they formed in later '99. Certainly there were bands from the 80's like Pantera, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Testament, Megadeth and NUMEROUS other bands which were clubbing with amazing speed on maple and rosewood fretboards long before 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In This Body: Living with HKPP through Faith and Love of family & community with Wade Odum This was recorded on March 19, 2024 On today&...